Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bookmarked/Commentary Pages/Honest Work


"This [a hop-field and sand-mound] was the spot where I was receiving my education; and this was the sort of education; and I am perfectly satisfied that if I had not received such an education, or something very much like it; that, if I had been brought up a milksop, with a nursery-maid everlastingly at my heels; I should have been at this day as great a fool, as insufficient a mortal, as any of those frivolous idiots that are turned out from Winchester and Westminster School... I went to return it my thanks for the ability which it probably gave me to be one of the greatest terrors, to one of the greatest and most powerful bodies of knaves and fools, that were ever permitted to afflict this or any other country."
--William Cobbett, Rural Rides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home