Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Plug Tunin'

Sorry for the continued transmission interrupt. (Not that anyone cares, of course.) A combination of end-of-year work and exams have proceeded to put beat me senseless recently. Once the first exam is out of the way, intermittent posting will continue, but that won't be for at least another week.

Anyway, just a short note to plug SPLAT, the Warwick Student Arts Festival, which will be running from Sunday to Thursday of the last week of term, 21st-25th June. In particular, I urge everyone to make efforts to attend the following events:

Purple Ballads - 3.00PM on Thursday 25th @ The Music Centre Ensemble Room - split between recitals of Chopin and Liszt by pianist Florian Mitrea (currently studying at the Royal Academy of Music) and readings by the poet, Warwick creative-writing student and enthusiast of Gothic literature Maria Cohut.

WORDS with A.L. Kennedy - 8.00PM on Monday 22nd - a stand-up set by the best (and most mordantly funny) novelist and short-story writer currently operating in Britain (and Warwick Writing Programme Associate Professor).

The Real Inspector Hound - 12.00PM on Tuesday 23rd - a production of the Tom Stoppard play by Warwick students, many recruited from the Writing Programme (so you know it will be fine. Yes!)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - 2PM on Tuesday @ the CAPITAL Centre Studio - another student production, of the Edward Albee play.

Workshop of the World - 1.00PM on Wednesday @ The CAPITAL Centre Writers' Room - a poetry workshop investigating the relationship between the art-form and the natural world, run by the Carcanet and Bloodaxe poet David Morley (who has been known for achieving remarkable results even with rank amateurs).

Inferno - 1PM on Thursday 24th @ The CAPITAL Centre Studio - a version of part of the first volume of the Divine Comedy, using the techniques of Artaud's Theatre of Cruelty, masterminded by first-year Creative Writing student Josh Roche.

Howling - 4PM, Thursday @ The CAPITAL Centre Studio - a minimal play written by the extremely accomplished second-year Creative Writing student Becci Fearnley, concerning wolves, wilderness and survival.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodnes me, I only just noticed this post! I must confess, my jaw literally dropped when I realized you included a link to 'my' event as well! That's so sweet of you, thank you so much!!! *hugs* I'm so excited by the event (and positively terrified at the same time), I think I might possibly faint when it finally comes to it. xD

May 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

That's alright - I'm rather excited about it myself; it looks like it will be very interesting. And obvs. I'm excited for yrself.

May 22, 2009 at 3:14 AM  
Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

EXAMS!?

They still have exams??

Crikey. I thought you all just drank sherry and slept with your tutors.

No wonder there's no decent fucking writers in this country.

May 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm as dismayed as you. Fuck it, I should have gone to art-school really.

May 23, 2009 at 1:55 AM  
Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

My wife went to art school. And look where it got her.

Actually, this was in Yeovil - 8 teenagers in a mud-hut with some poster paint and a tube of glue. Polly Harvey was in her class - "absolutely fucking clueless," apparently. No imagination and the personality of an aphid.

Keep meaning to build her a kiln in the garden. My wife, not Peej.

May 23, 2009 at 5:46 AM  
Anonymous Kenicky said...

I saw many productions at WSAF last year. The standard of one-off student productions (especially after exam period) shouldn't have be so high, but it really was.

May 25, 2009 at 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Florian Mitrea said...

Hi, Dan! Florian here! Thank you very much for posting information on our show (Purple Ballads). We moved our event on Thursday, the 25th (it's not possible to do it on Wednesday). It starts at 3 o'clock. Hope to see you there!
F.

May 29, 2009 at 4:36 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks for that, Florian. The appropriate changes have been made.

May 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home